Tuesday 1 September 2009

Meeting Point Lunch Speaker - Janice Russell

We had a very interesting talk on Friday 28th August at the Meeting Point Lunch. The speaker was Janice Russell from Trading Standards. We learnt a lot (and not just about Janice's fine appreciation of a man in uniform!!). The subject under discussion was avoiding Scams. She told us about some Scams that had come to the attention of the Trading Standards inFife and how utterly ruthless the scammers are in taking away the last penny from those they are scamming. We also learnt about phishing scams on the internet and only today I received one from the HM Revenue and Customs purporting to tell me I had a tax refund coming and could I just confirm my bank details? HA!! No chance! I followed Janice's advice and forwarded it to Trading Standards and to the HM Revenue and Customs so they could see what was being done in their name.

The maxim that Janice said we should stick to is "If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is!"

No comments: